Get your hands on a piece of history (literally) by being a Locktender for a Day! Register to win a chance to operate one of the only hand-operated lock systems in the country, right here in the Fox Valley. You’ll be stationed at Appleton’s Lock #3 near Downtown Appleton and the Newberry Trail where you will open and close the locks for recreational boaters. You’ll work with our professional locktenders and be part of the living history of the Fox River locks! It’s easy, it’s fun, and you get to operate the historically restored locks just as they did when they were built in the 1800s.
Listen to WHBY 1150 AM radio for more information. Perfect for boaters, history buffs or people who just love the beautiful Fox River!
Two ways to participate:
- Register at whby.com and click on the “Locktender for a Day” graphic in the center of the page OR
- Register on foxlocks.org and fill out information on our “contact us” page and please put “locktender for a day” in the notes.
Winners must be:
- 18 years of age or older
- Available on Friday, August 12 from 3-8pm to operate the locks
- Three winners will be selected
- All locks are outdoors and event will go on rain or shine